Long time ago, I have compiled a list of Ten Must-Have S60 Freeware Applications. It was mainly dedicated for S60 2nd Edition phones. Now, I have compiled the new list for S60 3rd Edition. I will be updating this list from time to time.
Before going to the list, freeware here means an application that can be used without paying money to the developers. It includes donationware and open source, but it does not include crippleware and trialware.
Here is the list of Ten Must-Have S60 3rd Freeware Applications (in alphabetical order):
1. EQO – Integrated messaging application that supports Yahoo! Messenger, MSN Messenger. GTalk, ICQ. The most interesting feature might be Skype support!
2. Google Maps for Mobile – You have maps of the whole world in your pocket. You can even query places, such as restaurant, shops, etc.
3. MobiReader – A free e-book reader. It can be used as Bible reader too (read my other posting, Reading Bible on S60 Phone). You can also subscribe news from many sources, such as CNN and Business Week.
4. OggPlay – Nice music player that supports MP3, AAC and MP4, it’s better than the built-in S60 music player in some areas.
5. Podcasting – If you are subscribers of audio blogging, this application is definitely must-have for you.
6. Screenshot – This one is the application that I develop myself to capture screenshots. All screenshots in this blog are captured using this application.
8. STris-2 – A clone of the popular Tetris game.
9. Y-Browser – File explorer is a must-have application for advanced users. Y-Browser is one of the best file explorer for S60 3rd.
10. Widsets – A collection of mini applications, called widgets, that allows us to subscribe feed (RSS/Atom) from many different topics.
Compatible devices: S60 3rd Edition, Nokia Nseries, Nokia Eseries
Update (05-Oct-06): Added Y-Browser as file explorer together with SysExplorer.
Update (06-Oct-06): Added screenshots.
Update (01-Jan-07): Removed DivX Player for Mobile and add MobiReader.
Update (23-Jan-07): Removed mig33 and added EQO.
Update (10-Mar-07): Removed SysExplorer from the list.